The SPC stands for Stone Polymer Composite. It is a new type of vinyl flooring getting popular in recent years. Also become trending for the vinyl flooring manufacturers in China.
SPC flooring is a major upgrade from traditional WPC (Wood Plastic Composite), LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tiles) and laminate flooring. It has a lot of advantages.
- SPC has 20 times better impact resistance than laminate flooring. 10 times better impact resistance than WPC flooring and LVT flooring
- SPC can be installed on any hard surfaces and can conceal most sub floor imperfections
- It is faster to install than other floorings.
- It is more eco-friendly.
- 100% Waterproof, can be used in bathroom, kitchen, laundry, powder room.
- More stable in sizes. No need for expansion joints or huge gaps around the perimeter.
Rigid Core Flooring Types
There are two types of rigid core flooring that you may come across on your vinyl floor shopping experience.
- SPC Vinyl Flooring with a stone plastic composite core
- WPC Vinyl Flooring with a wood plastic composit core
Construction of Rigid Core Vinyl Flooring
Wear Layer – The wear layer is the top coating on the vinyl floor that is transparent. This adds scratch and stain resistance to the vinyl plank.
Vinyl Top Coat – A rigid core vinyl will have a thin layer of vinyl on the top of the core.
Rigid Core – The rigid core can be made of several different materials, such as WPC or SPC. This is what will set the stability and durability apart from a regular vinyl floor.
Attached Underlayment – Not all rigid core floors will include underlayment, but it is a popular option with these floors. An attached underlayment will give you extra cushion under your foot and absorb sound.
Benefits of Rigid Vinyl Flooring
Waterproof: All rigid core vinyls will be 100% waterproof.
Comfort: A rigid core vinyl feels more sturdy and cushioned under foot than a traditional vinyl due to the dense thick core.
Sound: With the dense core, you should not hear a hallow sound when you walk on a rigid core vinyl.
Affordability: Rigid core vinyl plank flooring is very budget friendly. Depending on the type of rigid core, brand and features, there are low end to high end rigid core vinyls on the market.